Time to consider a remortgage? Find out why

Buildings & Contents Insurance

Since your home is used by your lender as security for the mortgage, it is understandable that they will usually require you to arrange suitable buildings insurance, so that any structural damage can be repaired. Normally, you will also be able to claim the cost of alternative accommodation while any rebuilding work is undertaken, as well as any legal costs arising from damage to your home.

As you are legally obliged to purchase your home from the moment that you exchange contracts, you should ensure that there is proper insurance in place from this moment.

We also strongly advise you to insure the contents of your home in case of fire, theft, flooding, or other problems.